Thursday, September 8, 2011

Back home after 2 months

Back home after 2 months in the city. I reacquaint myself with everything, settle back into the pace, the quiet. I like it. There doesn’t seem to be such a struggle this time.

Well, there has been a tussle, a left over from the city. My gmail and Facebook were hacked on September 2nd, contacts stolen, e-mails erased, a fairly transparent money scam saying I was stranded in Madrid sent out to all. After 5 days I have regained possession of my old gmail address, but not Facebook yet. Despite my disdain for anything that smacks of techno computereze and my utter frustration that a LIVE customer service representative is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND on either site to help shepherd one through the morass, I have not run away. I’ve stayed at it. I’ve walked away, come back. Gone a bit overboard, seen the error of my ways, dallied with black and white thinking ie “That’s it!! I’m quitting all these sites! I’m getting rid of my iphone. They’re all a sign of group speak, addictions disguised as conveniences! I’m becoming a part of the pack. It’s madness, Madness, MADNESS!” But for the most part, I’ve been able to keep a balance. To see how unimportant it is while still trying to rectify the situation. Maybe there’s been a change in me. Maybe it’s the effect of being back here, back with Richard, back with the green and the animals and the space. A little bit of everything.

Little things make me smile, petting the cats, for instance. This morning, Delilah, our big girl, looked up at me and launched into her morning ritual of “pet me, pet me, pet me …” a stuck record, her meow a monotone, insistent crabbiness, like Selma Diamond in fur. But once you bend down and begin to stroke her coat, she transforms into a kind of princess, rubenesque still, yes, but so graceful and sweet, her face full of pleasure, paws clutching in, then stretching out, her purr, a marvelous motor idling. The whole thing becomes a meditation, it’s poetry, it grounds me.

Drippy and grey today, the last remnants of Hurricane Lee taking a New England visit. We dodged a bullet a week ago when Irene splattered through. The eye of the storm went right over our house stopping the rain and wind as if a faucet had been shut off up in the sky. Strange and wonderful. We were completely unaware of the flash flooding and damage all around us until the calls of concern came in from friends around the world. Our state, our dear state.

On with the day. Just wanted to make a check in after almost 3 months.

And if anyone has a tip about getting back on Facebook after having been hacked, that would be great.

No comments: