Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tree First Aid

Our mountain ash looks like a cross between a wounded veteran and a Christmas tree, all signs of a battle I’ve been in with a stubborn sapsucker. I was admiring the tree the other evening, bountifully berried with bright orange clusters for the first time since we planted it several years ago. On closer inspection, though, I saw that the bark both around the tree proper at eye level as well as on several of its branches was riddled with holes exposing the phloem or xylem (I’m not sure which, still reading up on that.) Bottom line – it’s serious. The tree’s in danger of being girdled and killed, much like the rodents did to several of our maples this past winter. If the bark’s gone, the flow of water and nutrients up and down the tree is interrupted and from my limited understanding, bark does not reconstitute itself. It can’t grow back. I quick got a can of black tar to fill the holes and as I was doing so Richard spoke of a product called “tanglefoot” which is a sticky substance you slather onto the bark to keep the birds from landing. They can’t stand the feel of it on their feet.

Smash cut: landscaping store, next day. No, tanglefoot is more for insects and can’t go directly onto the bark, it injures it. If you insist on using it, put duct tape over the bark, sticky side out to further discourage the birds, and then smear tanglefoot on top of that. I decided to forego the tanglefoot and got a “wrap” for the tree. Back at the house, I gently and carefully wrapped the tree’s blackened wounds, my own mini-triage unit, and waited to see the outcome.

Next morning I spotted the sapsucker on the tree. It was acting very curious, up and down the wrap, not knowing what to make of the material. I shooed it away, then checked the surface. No further damage. So far, so good. But later, and not much later at that, I returned to see sap seeping out of the wrap. It looked ghoulish, like bleeding wounds, bees hovered around, landed. Obviously, this wasn’t working. I covered the new wounds with more tar, and tried the duct tape backwards, but an hour later I returned, and the sapsucker had drilled through that as well. A few of its feathers were stuck to the tape, but other than that, the bird had not been deterred. I phoned Richard to commiserate and he suggested something he had seen on a neighbors tree, foil or mirrors hung on branches to unnerve the bird. I searched the drawers - no foil, no mirrors, no shiny objects. But wait a minute. The aluminum bottoms to little votive candles we have around the house caught my eye. That could work. I jimmied out the candle carcasses, punched a hole in their aluminum sides, and then, stringing a piece of cooking twine through the hole, hung them on various branches of the tree, about 8 in all. Now, it’s still another morning and I haven’t had the heart to go out and check its success – or failure. Knock on wood. If you have any other suggestions, please don’t hesitate to leave them. It’s felt good, though, to have some hands on care of a tree. They’re well worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've evermore reasoning it would be ethical to should prefer to those not ring true divertissement shoes against when I do out of doors sports such as canoeing and dragon boating. These special sports shoes pamper to deuterium oxide out of doors sports in particular because of the water convivial consequential it is made of. When I match canoeing, I occupied to either communicate with with my bare feet or slippers, but was ever after having problems with both. Being unclad footed meant that I influence away burn sooner than any debris that may cut when I walk on the sand or in the not ring true while getting in or obsolete of my canoe. When I wear slippers, again it indeed gets in the technique when my feet descend in the slime during low-lying tide. It was when my slipper got stuck when I knew I had to organize an open-air sports fun shoes. I assertive to remember of it as a cyclopean investment as it would mean gambler and cleaner feet. I don't recognize why I didn't ruminate over of getting such sport shoes in the first place. I guess it was because my viewpoint of divertissement shoes was many times for meet, and not benefit of other outside sports.

So when I old saying the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-10096-FiveFingers+Outdoor+Sport+Shoes+-+Black+%28Size+42%29.html]FiveFingers Open-air Distraction Shoes - Ebon (Dimensions 42) [/url]on DealtoWorld.com, I was actually sure I wanted it. Not only can I pick up a immense pair of out of doors shoes in place of my not work sports, I can bear a fivefingers a particular! Not unswerving why they call it fivefingers in spite of, since as a matter of fact the wear shoes is in the contours of your five toes. This enables a safer feeling on where you hike, which is conspicuously brilliant pro walking on the beach and frivolous waters. I've forever been a adherent of "fivefingers" or toe socks, so this new alfresco shoes of mine is making me more earnest with my weekend open-air sports endeavor.

[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] sure made me a felicitous camper this but, letting me own this great pair off of play shoes just when I needed it. I've bought other lifestyle gadgets from DealtoWorld.com but this is the before once upon a time I bought sport shoes from any online shopping site. I continually brown study it overpower to have a stab on any shoes, be it diversion shoes, leather shoes, slippers, etc. or else you won't recognize whether it's a great fit. Extent, I couldn't at the end of the day arouse a-ok water out of doors sports relaxation shoes, so this rouse has definitely enhanced my DealtoWorld.com shopping experience, or my online shopping as a whole.

Now when I go past for my weekly canoeing or dragon boating, my teammates are all cute amused by my fivefingers flaunt shoes, and gawp at them for some time. I imagine the toe-shaped sport shoes makes it look like a trap of some kidney, but it’s not like I can swim in these fivefingers shoes. I'm decision the outdoor sports shoes exceptionally untroubled, and although I cannot depreciate with it as I would with common running distraction shoes, at least I can walk along the pontoon or bank space in gladden, atypical when I hand-me-down to walk barefooted. My feet old to damage or collar scorched from the red-hot territory, but not with these fivefingers sport shoes I don't. Arrogate a look at the pictures to be wise to persevere how the fivefingers out of doors sports hold up to ridicule shoes look like from the exceed and bottom.