Thursday, May 14, 2009

The First 2 Days of the ride 30 years ago

"May 13, 1979 Rain and decisions & the clock ticks away."

It was pouring down rain that Mother's Day, but I knew if I didn't go that day I wouldn't go because I was starting to get cold feet.

"5:30 pm Amherst
A free dry bed for the night at Amherst College. Interesting green day - got soaked in Rhode Island and Mass., but made good time. Greens were beautiful. Difficult goodbye to Greg - beginnings. Just sent Mothers Day wishes Indiana way and plan to read tonite. Nice start. I still have never written down the "what's and why's" about this trip; hopefully they'll formulate, but here's a few jabs. 1) The decisiveness of just doing something with your heart and mind; 2) Following the track of the indefatigableness of man; 3) The wonders of our bodies; 4) The wonder of this country and its people. Let it go - let it happen. Very pleasant place - soft rain - friendly people."

Oh, that 24 year old me! " ... the indefatigableness of man ..." I was crashing on a couch at one end of a big room in a dormitory where people would flock into periodically during the night, but mostly I was left alone. They were very kind to let me stay there. That day marked 1 of only 2 negative occurences for the whole trip. I was pedaling up a pretty hefty hill in the pouring rain and some kids driving by through a half empty beer can at me, it bounced off my back and hit the ground beside me. I heard them laughing as they sped off. So strange and gratuitous.

“May 14th 9 am

Yoga-ed and breakfasted after an on-again-off-again sleepless night. Ah dorm life – thank God I bypassed that experience.

Another grey sprinkled day, but the weather promises to break and be sunny for the rest of the week. One last goodbye to Amherst and I’m off.

“7 pm Weston, VT – close to Ludlow, but no cigar.” (My first venture into Vermont; I guess Ludlow had been my “planned” goal for the day.) “I’m tired. Hilly, beautiful, green country, but let’s go chronologically as I watch my dishwater boil.” (I had a tiny gas burner stove with me.) “We here in Vermont feel the weather will break tomorrow. It was a (?) day weatherwise – cloudy and a very light sprinkle ½ the day. I forgot to mention yesterday I was hit by a Miller’s beer thrown from a truck full of kids and the hall I stayed in was Morrow.

Took off this morning about 9:15 and between Amherst and Sunderland had a flat tire. Fixed it & onwards. Very easy beginnings – lush green river rides with beautiful homes & landscapes. Had a couple of encounters with dogs that were scarey & brought on a massive amount of adrenalin. Pissed me off – I’ll have to get some preventative device other than water.” (I was avoiding mace and squirting those snarlers with my water bottle. They’d come galloping in out of nowhere, usually from behind, silent until they got right on me. Scared the shit out of me.) “The ride was filled with mtns. & little waterfalls & silence. The only thing – I push myself too hard; I was nearing exhaustion by the time I hit the big hills. I don’t stop enough I suppose. Or something. Also, I started having fantasies of Ken Cheeseman’s legs compared to mine. Christ, what is that mtn. going to be like tomorrow? Anyway, Vermont is wonderful. Every small town looks very similar – basicly white houses with green shutters and a strange steepled church in the midst of it all. Lots of maple sugar stands too.

Weston, I believe, is a summer theatre camp town (Interlochenish) with lots of camp-“

Unfortunately there I will have to stop for today because I’m in NYC and neglected to bring the old journal along with me. Richard scanned and sent the pages I’ve used so far, so we’ll all have to wait for the next installment until I get back to Vermont.

I love that 30 year ago me still hard on himself, aware of driving oneself and not taking time to enjoy the scenery. Pushing, pushing, pushing. I also wonder why the word “strange” to describe the church steeples? Hmmm.

Hope this finds you all well on whatever journeys you happen to be taking.

No comments: