Tuesday, March 31, 2009

And there are low days

And there are low days. And I’m resilient and I know they too shall pass and they’re not just endemic to Vermont, God knows, but there are days where my whole being feels like the grey skies, monotonous, dull, no beginning or end; where the matted dirty grass on the hillsides, a mixture of beige and grey and brown interspersed with dirty piles of snow, seeps into my cells. And I know going up in our unfinished loft and jumping some rope, doing some sit-ups, push-ups, exercising, getting the blood going, the oxygen circulating could move this weight away - it’s happened before, I’ve done it, I know it works. But there are days where I just don’t feel like it, I don’t want to. I know I could get out in the dirt, plant winter rye grass on top of the garden to help the nitrogen level in the soil, get out there in the dirt and mud and get grounded, feel the air streaming into my blood or take a walk or hike/run up the hill for a vista that could give new perspective to this morass and the aerobic exertion might help lift this mood up, up, and away. Maybe writing would do the trick. And I can think "This doesn't compare to what other friends or relatives of mine have felt; I have no business letting myself feel down when I see what others are going through. That's REAL, that's black; mine's grey." But still ... its here. And there are days when I don’t fight it or ignore it or deny it; I don’t exercise it away or say “Buck up, get over it, c’mon!” or shove a project or job down its throat, no, I just say, “Okay, hello, I hope you’re not staying for too long this time, but hello darkness, my old friend.” And I look it straight in the eye and dance with it.

So is THIS one of the reasons I’m living in Vermont? Maybe. I don’t know. It’s the whole ball of wax, baby.

And this too shall pass.

And it ain’t the end of the world.

But there are low days … and I know I’m not alone.

1 comment:

Beth Danesco said...

This blog may not be for me. Im a native New Englander (raised in MA, "the Bay State,"; born in RI, "the arrest me state"); Im not an artist pondering "who am i?" but rather "will i ever move out of my parents house?" and Im straight. Question: Can a straight salesman run a crooked car dealership?

"People have it worse", "go do something" "shut your pie hole.". I say a lot of these same things to myself when Im having a down day -Though, i think youre right sometimes you just have to ride it out. Not that you're taking a poll.

Really, im commenting here because i wanted you to know that i shared a page of your blog, something about the chickens, with my father today. He has been in the hospital and Ive been bringing him random stuff off the internet- human interest artices, etc. He's a frasier fan (had it on in his room tonight...) and also, we sort of have a running thing about you because I met you at the rhode island film festival last summer. (Your picture was on our fridge for a few months. "Hey, look: Bulldog..." )

So the existence of your blog was of interest to my dad and he found it funny...even funnier than that guy who dyed his dog to look like a panda...well, all right, AS funny as the guy who dyed his dog to look like a panda. Can you dye a chicken to look like a panda?

Anyhow,I just wanted to say you gave us a nice little shared light moment- just by putting your thoughts out there...in a Google search engine friendly fashion. So thanks and...keep writing...